Meet Our Horses
Our horses love exploring and Oaxaca’s Cañada region is one of their favorites.
We’ve given each horse a profile because they each have their own personalities. But in one way they are all alike – they love their job, whether it’s a fast-paced endurance competition or teaching a novice about the nuances of good trail riding.
Whether you are a complete novice riding for the first time or an experienced rider looking for a spirited gallop in open country we have the right horse for you – and the right horse may very well be the same horse. We pride ourselves on our horses’ flexible minds and calm temperaments.
We, Mary Jane and Gabriel, firmly believe in letting our horses be horses when they’re not working. At Rancho Pitaya the horses live in open-style paddocks within a herd or next to a friend..
Our geldings are all wonderful guys – they love the trails at any speed and several that regularly compete in endurance rides are also our steadiest & calmest horses.
The mares – like most women – set the pace for our herd. They like to go – but that can mean hours of marching up and down hills as well as getting down to fast-paced business. Torrid Elegance, Newest Style and Mighty were bred to Fernandez and had foals by him in the summer of 2012.
The two stallions are among our most affectionate horses. They are gentle and courteous with humans, always enjoying a nice scratch behind the ear.
Velvita is our miniature filly and she’s still growing up but our plan for her is a career in equine therapy for developmentally challenged children.
Learn more about each horse at their individual profile.
- Mighty, pure Cañada Criollo, born 2007
- Niza: Pure Polish Arabian, born 2012
- Mona’s Sonrisa: Criollo Arabian, born 2012
- Velvita: Class A Miniature, born 2012
- The Stallions:
- Chocolate, Mexican Paint, born 1998
- Fernandez, pure Polish Arabian, born 2000
- The geldings:
- Centurion, Mexican Criollo, born 1996
- Spirit, pure Arabian, born 2001
- Piquin, Arabian Quarterhorse cross, born 2003
- Midnight, Pure Arabian, born 2011
- Oaxaca’s White Socks: AngloArab